Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Baseball is like Gefilte Fish

Watched your Colorado Rockies beat the San Diego Padres last night in 13 innings to make it to the playoffs for the first time in 12 years. Very exciting.

Got me thinking how baseball is like gefilte fish. For those of you who don’t know, gefilte fish is Jewish delicacy made from ground up fish and…well…other stuff. It’s basically fish pâté preserved in gelatin.

Just about the most unappetizing stuff you’ll ever run into outside of a third world country unless you grew up with it. If you started eating it before the age of 6, gefilte fish is a yummy treat. It’s a comfort food and part of your identity.

Baseball is the same kind of thing. It’s mental comfort food for those who GET IT. Us Colorado residents didn’t get a team until I was 21, so while I appreciate and understand baseball, I don’t GET IT. I didn't make "Baseball Fan" part of my list of things about myself when I was growing up.

Only time I can sit down and enjoy watching a game is in the playoffs when everything is on the line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home